Xffm issues

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Apr 19 00:00:44 CEST 2003

Moe,

IMHO the real point for now is to fix the pending issues (like bugs and
memory leaks, really, we need to get those memory leaks fixed...)

> 1) I'ld appreciate if it somebody can make the special nodes like "Book" (It should be
> called "Bookmarks" IMHO) or "Trash" toggleable. I'ld love to have them opened in a
> seperate directory (old xftree behaviour) Some of those things I don't use at all and
> therefore they should be an opportunity to turn them off.

Definitely not a priority.

> 2) The right click menu is well structured though I liked the old xftree menu more since
> you could do all operations concerning files with one single and quick click. What about
> getting back to the old menu? Or at least have a decission between both "modes"?

Idem.

> 3) Icons in the menu bar aren't really fancy. And getting rid of them means getting rid of
> ALL icons. Thats not a good way IMHO.

Humm, I think the icons are just fine. Most are stock icons, so feel
free to customize them using gtkrc.

> 4) The "About xffm" screen should be displayed in its window instead of "scrolling"
> through at the bottom.

Hey, that scrolling is cool :)

> 5) Do you really need the arrows on the left side to navigate the files? I don't use ...
> mind making up an option to turn them off?

Yeah, I like the arrows :)

> 6) Using Shell variables isn't really the proper way of storing options.

Agree, although I think it uses mcs

> Okay, all these proposals are very subjective and were rushing through my mind when using
> xffm. They are just ment to improve the way xffm works and for improving the way the users
> work with it. Thanks for your consideration.

Well, except for the memory leaks and pending bugs, everything else is
my own perception :) The fact is that I really want to make a release
soon, xfce4 has stayed too long in CVS... So it's really no time for
improvements now. Let's keep that for Xfce 4.2

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org