xfce panel

Danny danny.milo at gmx.net
Tue Apr 15 22:01:14 CEST 2003

Am Die, 2003-04-15 um 19.56 schrieb Moritz Heiber:
> > It would be nice to have a small text widget pop up when an app started
> > by a launcher outputs something to stderr (and, optionally, the app did
> > not start).
>
> There is an error dialog that pops up when the app you are trying to run doesn't exist at
> all. If you want to make sure that you get all the output from a certain app cross the box
> "Run in terminal".
well, that doesnt help because the terminal is gone after the program
ran.

I'll give an example to clarify things:
One of the main programs I'd need stderr output for is mplayer
(www.mplayerhq.hu).
Mplayer itself has no graphical frontend except for the video window ;)
So if, for some reason, mplayer cannot initialize the video stuff, f. e.
if the codec is not supported / the sound device is busy / whatever, it
outputs some messages to stderr, then quits. So now try checking "run in
terminal" and try to run mplayer on a file where the codec is not known
(or just on a non-video file to simulate the situation ;)). You'll not
be able to read the output. The terminal window vanishes too fast.
Moreover, if there is a terminal window popping up over a fullscreen
movie for films where it *does* play, then that looks a bit weird too...

> > Also, the run dialog does not honor the settings from "desktop borders",
> > and so, because my panel is at the top of the screen, the run dialog is
> > beneath the panel (as in Z order) ;)
>
> I guess you mean xfrun4. The dialog from xfrun4 is placed right by the place where your
> mouse cursor resists IMHO.
Yeah :)
Oic, that works, yes... If I click on "Run" in the panel and move the
mouse downwards real fast then the run window is fully visible :D
Anyways, it should honor the "desktop border" setting as well, then it
would be fully visible all the time ;)

> Moritz

Danny