Panel autohide

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Apr 13 13:10:19 CEST 2003

Hello all, Olivier,

Thanks to Erik Touve I have a patch that implements autohide for the
panel. I haven't made it accessible from the settings dialog yet, so to
test it you have to manually add `autohide="1"' to the <Panel /> tag in
your xfce4rc file.

I have a problem, though. I try to make the panel collapse towards the
nearest edge (the panel stays in place, but it shrinks in the direction
of the nearest edge). This works fine, except when the panel is on the
edge (the intended position, really). Apparently xfwm thinks the panel
is still its original size and refuses to move it of the screen.
Consequently, the panel shrinks, but is not moved to the edge as
intended.

ascii 'art' explanation

unhidden:
  _________________
 | |             | |    (panel)
 | |             | |
 |_|_____________|_|
======================= (edge)

desired situation when hidden:

  _________________
 |_________________|

situation now when hidden:

I do first hide the contents, then resize and then move, so I think it
should have worked. I put in a gdk_flush() to ensure the resize has been
done, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

	Jasper