X crash and xfce4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Apr 1 07:52:35 CEST 2003

On 31 Mar 2003 17:37:31 -0600
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

> El lun, 31-03-2003 a las 14:04, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> > On 30 Mar 2003 22:49:15 -0600
> > edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
> >

> > > It's been several times now that my X session crashes (inevitable
> > > when I'm in the shower or sleeping), and what it strange is that
> > > the xfce4 panel is still running (even with no X) hogging up the
> > > CPU. After restarting X it still runs and hogs the CPU until I
> > > give it a kill -9. This is on FreeBSD-4.7, it is not reproduceable
> > > on demand, and I have no idea why it happens and if xfce4 is a
> > > victim or culprit. Just FYI.
> > >

> > I have a feeling it may have something to do with signal handling.
> > The panel tries to restart on SIGHUP. It receives this signal when X
> > quits, but I don't know what happens when X crashes.
>
> Apparently at the time of the crashes, xffm received a signal 1
> (SIGHUP). If the panel tries to restart, but no Xsession is running,
> what comes of it?

Well, on normal X quit, it just fails miserably and exits ;-)
Apparently, with a crash it goes into some sort of coma.

I'm not sure SIGHUP handling is all that useful anymore. It was added,
because I had to restart the panel so often in early stages of
development. I think I will remove it; SIGHUP handling is more useful
for daemon-like programs to reread their settings [1].

	Jasper

[1] It would be nice if the settings manager reloaded all modules on
    SIGHUP.