Some thoughts on xfce4 design

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Mon Sep 30 06:00:53 CEST 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 10:30:05 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Well, the thing is, the ends of the panel are a bit special. I think
> people tend to put special things at the start and the end (like the
> clock, an exit button, trashcan). Just adding new items to the end
> would seriously affect these arrangements.

Hmmm ... perhaps a right-click menu on all panel items like this:

+----------------------+
| New Icon Before      |
| New Item Before     >|+-----------------------+
| New Separator Before || Clock                 |
| Cancel               || Desktop Button Holder |
+----------------------+| Trash Can             |
                        | Mail Checker          |
                        | PPP Dialer            |
                        | Pager                 |
                        | Exit/Setup Button     |

> [...]
> Well, I don't know about that (the DND thing). It sounds too
> complicated for poor little me to implement. My idea is to not lose
> settings when still in the dialog, but after that it's gone.

My idea was what I thought would be most ideal for the end user.
Obviously that's limited by what is implementable.

-- b