Some thoughts on xfce4 design

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Sep 29 20:38:43 CEST 2002

On 29 Sep 2002 19:22:52 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Jasper,
>
> I'm not so sure.
>
> Keep in mind that the "settings" protocol that we shall implement is
> very similar to xsettings in many aspects.
>
> That means that it's not intended to hold the whole xml tree, but
> rather some small "atomic" values, such as size of the panel, style,
> orientation, well, in a nutshell, everything you already have in your
> setup panel.
>
> Putting the whole config in the setup panel would not allow to put the
> setup panel in the general setup tool (I'm not sure I make myself
> clear here!)
>
> Hope that makes sense for you,
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Sure it makes sense. I forgot ;-)

I think I could implement it as a separate dialog that may be called by
running xfce4 --configure or sending some client message to the panel.
Anyway it does make things more complicated.

I'll think about it some more.

Thanks,
	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net