[XFCE4] Internalization ?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Sep 15 09:17:18 CEST 2002

Hello zeDek,

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:43:47 +0200
Xavier MAILLARD <zedek at fxgsproject.org> wrote:

> Hi dudes !
>
> I know this ain't time to talke about that but why don't we
> internalize the panel and all its components ?

Well there are several aspects to internationalization. The first step
is to mark all translatable strings as such in the code. The seccond
step is to put in the gettext framework so that the strings can be
extracted. And finaly all strings can be translated in .po files.

For xfce4 I have tried to consistently mark translatable strings with
_("string"). Until now I haven't added the gettext framework, but that
shouldn't be too much of a problem. This automatically means there are
also no translations yet.

I'm not sure we should start translating just yet. Most of the visible
strings in the panel are in the global setup dialog and this is exactly
the part that will change drastically when we have our common options
system.

> As far as I am concerned with other projects, it's one of the biggest
> part to achieve and I think we should handle this before it becomes
> too big :)

This would be an argument to start the translation even though they may
change a lot. Ok, I'll try and add the gettext stuff today.

> In fact in the current CVS tree, I'm(was) facing troubles
> understanding the GUI because of weird words (NL : sorry jasp :) ) and
> I think the sooner we act on this, the better will be the app.

This has nothing to do with internationalization ;-) Please tell me what
you think is weird and I'll consider using something else. There isn't
all that much text in the GUI so we should be able to come up with
something reasonably understandable.

I'm quite sure there are no weird words in the GUI by the way. Are there
more people having difficulties with my choice of words? I really would
like to know.

greetings,
	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net