Request for feature requests

Jasper Huijsmans huysmans at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 6 14:35:35 CEST 2002

Well, not really.

I'd like to know if there are any features currently not in xfce4 that
_really_ need to be added before a 4.0 release (no, it's definitely not
ready now).

My idea is that 4.0 should basically be a port of xfce3 to GTK2 with
little extra features. The functionality will in fact be reduced a
bit, because the setup dialog will only do panel stuff and not GTK,
xfwm and startup settings.

I think I implemented most of the panel features of xfce3. Extra
features are panel plugins, variable popup button position and the
ability to completely or partially hide the central panel.

The only basic functionality that I'd still like to add is the ability
to incorporate a taskbar. This depends on the availability of such a
taskbar. And the only thing that will change fundamentally is the
panel settings, which need to be ported to the common xfce preferences
system.

I'm going to try and focus on stabilizing the code, fixing the bugs and
hopefully write some basic documentation.

So, do you think the panel is missing vital functionality that really
needs to be added before a 4.0 release?

Greetings,
	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net