API question

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 22 13:26:50 CEST 2002

On 22 Oct 2002 06:09:43 -0400, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> I'm just trying to find some way to contribute more.
> Plus I'd really like to get back into programming again.  It's been
> going on 8 years since I've done any real coding.  I guess I'm just
> going to have to resign myself to the fact that I'm probably going to
> be a SysAdmin now.

I'd say just dive in. Before I fiddled around with xfdeskmenu and xfce4,
I spent a year working purely as a suit and did no coding whatsoever. It
was also the first C code I had looked at in about 6 years.

Once I started, I understood the basics of gtk in about 1/2 a day. So
just give it a shot and see what happens. I'd also suggest that you
start with something meaty, doing a 'hello world' doesn't really teach
you much. Why not fix all the bugs in xfdeskmenu? ;-)

That said, there is a heck of a lot more to be done than just C
programming. A provisional list:

	* Scripts: Shell scripts like 'startxfce4', 'xfterm4', etc.
	* Testing
	* Documentation
	* Packaging (especially distro-specific tweaks)
	* Support

So take your pick.

-- b