API question

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Mon Oct 21 18:32:19 CEST 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:05:19 -0400
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> Biju Chacko wrote:
>
> >>	Thoughts?
> >
> > I, personally, am equally comfortable with C++. However, using gtkmm
> > would introduce one more external dependency.
>
> 	Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  However I just can't get my
> 	brain
> around C.  C++ is just a little easier for me to grok.  Remind me to
> go off on a rant about idiotic header files and stuff one of these
> days.  ;-)

We need to remind you to start a rant? You must be getting old ;-)

On the C++ issue, it would be rather out of line with the current
project - for instance all the work on the new gui library is C only. To
use it you'd need to write C++ wrappers. Or use the C code directly, but
then what is the point of using C++?

Anyway, I'm not against anything. It would be interesting to see how far
a gtk+/C++ desktop environment could go. I would have to learn C++ first
though ;-)

Basically I'd say it wouldn't really fit in with current xfce and it
would introduce extra dependencies, but if Olivier thinks it's ok I'd
have no problems with that either.

	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net