Some thoughts on settings manager

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Nov 18 19:55:57 CET 2002

Hi Jasper,

> Except the SETTINGS channel. Perhaps this should be
> included with the settings manager.

Yes, basic settings such as gtk theme, font, dbl click time plugins will
ship with the setting manager. But since there is no standard on the
minimum settings, other might appear in the future.

The manager lib already provides a mechanism to query existing manager.
Let's say we are in a configuration where the user prefers to use GNOME
xsetting manager (or ROX equivalent) but still want to use xfce, the
manager will query the screen and is capable of determining that a
standard setting manager is already running. It will then only manage
mcs settings, and standard channel SETTINGS will not be turned on. When
a plugin tries to use that channel, the manager display a message and
the channel is not created.

> Perfect. Is plugin_name the channel name and caption a human readable
> version ("XFCE" versus "XFce panel")?

plugin_name is the name that will be used to call the plugin (using a
SHOW command). It's case unsensitive.

Caption is the caption of the icon once we have a setting manager
capable of display icons :)

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org