xfnautilus

Moritz Heiber MisterMoe at hackerboard.de
Tue Nov 12 15:39:44 CET 2002

On 11 Nov 2002 19:42:52 -0600
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:

Some thoughts were rushing through my mind, not really important but
they MAY be usefull ;-)

> I just uploaded xfnautilus to the xfce-devel CVS tree.

Thank you! ;-)

> I spent about a week working on xfsamba-2, and what resulted was a
> tree application that will combine xftree, xfsamba and xfglob in one
> window to ease double-click, dnd, program asociation, etc. I think it
> also could have a tasks folder where you can see minimized icons. I
> called it xfnautilus because I started using some pretty icons from
> nautilus.

Damn good work for just a week of working :-) I'ld and will ( I
guess) never be able to do that in a month ;-)

> At the moment the folder tree works to navigate. Not much more. The
> others will display a "loading" message that does not go away. If you
> open /dev it won't crash the application like the treeview in
> nautilus. It will give you a progress report as the directory is being
> loaded into the tree. The directories appear first (unsorted) and then
> the files. Very limited icon set at the present time.

Does work fine for me and no segfaults at all :-)

Although I really appreciate somebody is getting on Xftree4 (or
Xfnautilus ;-) ) I got some Ideas:

1) I got really fimilar with Xftree and its behaviour and I won't give
it away for anything else. But now I was noticing that you are on the
way of changing its whole environment and behaviour. Of course there are
a lot of usefull ideas but I personally don't like ROX (not anything
against those who use it) and it would be good to have some sort of "Old
school style" kept for those ppl who don't like ROX as well ;-)

2) The name is well chosen .. the old submarine is worth it ;-) but I
guess many ppl will react like "Oh look the copied Gnome" and I guess
thats not what you want to achieve ... Since the new filemanager will
include xfsamba and xfglob a name like xfcommander (Don't call me names
for that suggestion ;-) ) would match its use a lot better I think.

Keep on the good work edscott :-)

Moritz