xfwm4: New additions

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed May 22 22:17:04 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I've improved net support in xfwm4 so now ROX Pager works. It renders
the windows from the current desktop, but still doesn't see the
multiple desktops. Still, I believe the remaining problem is in ROX
Pager (Thomas, tell me if I'm wrong ;-) )

I've added net_wm_state_fullscreen that was missing (gnome-terminal2 use
that, for example)

I don't know if you noticed that, but SUN has announced they will use
metacity in place of sawfish for their GNOME2. Xfwm4 has some code in
common with metacity (the menus for example, that I took from metacity).
However, IMHO, xfwm4 is faster that metacity for the same set of
functionnality (but actually, xfwm4 and metacity have a lot in common,
they are both based on gtk+-2.0, they both use Pango for text i18n and
rendering - The main difference is that metacity uses GTK+-2.0 for
everything while xfwm4 uses the Xlib and some hooks with GTK+). All in
all, I believe this is good news, I've never been a big fan of sawfish.

Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.
Designed for productivity,  it loads  and  executes  applications fast,
while conserving  system resources. XFce is all free software, released
under GNU General Public License.    Available from http://www.xfce.org