xfce4 in CVS (Don't use it)

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 21 13:06:53 CEST 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:01:25PM +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> At 12:17 PM 5/21/02, you wrote:
> >On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 08:04:13PM +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Maybe some of you noticed when they did a checkout of xfce-devel there
> >> is now an xfce4 directory with several files containing seemingly random
> >> code. This is my attempt at a gtk2 based panel.
> >>
> >> However it is not anywhere near finished. Really, it's not. I put it
> >> there to keep an archive and to let people who are interested have a
> >> look at my ideas. Things will change without prior notice, there is no
> >> documentation and no fancy configuration system (yet).
> >
> >On thing I noticed: in the dialog for editing items, the buttons at the
> >bottom go [Apply] [Cancel]. Is XFCE going to adopt the ordering system
> >used in other Gtk+-2.0 apps (including GNOME and ROX), where the 'Yes'
> >button is always in the bottom-right corner? I think Macs use this style
> >too.
>
> I wanted to, but it seems I forgot ;-) I will probably change that soon.
>
> >> You cannot change the configuration and some of the buttons do strange
> >> stuff like changing style or changing the panel size.
> >
> >If you want a nice, well tested options box, you can lift options.c out
> >of ROX-Filer and drop it in with only minor changes[1]. It's very easy to
> >use, eg:
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I was thinking about looking at ROX code for some
> other things as well (like xml handling). Is this in any way linked to the
> Choices system ?

[...]

> >[1] Changes needed: create choices_* functions which tell the options
> >system where to load and save the choices, and remove code for converting
> >old format options files to XML.

The file choices.c provides functions which give pathnames. Eg:

choices_find_path_load("menus", "ROX-Filer")
			= "/usr/local/share/Choices/ROX-Filer/menus"

choices_find_path_save("menu", "ROX-Filer")
			= "/home/fred/Choices/ROX-Filer/menus"

You can either copy that file (possibly getting XFCE to modify CHOICESPATH
at runtime to change the search path), or write your own replacement
functions.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk		tal197 at users.sourceforge.net