Xfwm 4 screen captures

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed May 8 02:40:04 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 15:20, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> > 	As long as there is a CDE/Motif/Motif+ theme I'm happy.  There's
> > 	nothing bad about having as many different looks as possible.
>
> Frankly, Joe, I'm shocked ;-) You're really supposed to say no here, or
> rather NOOOOOOOOOOO!

	Must have had a mental infarction or something.  Sorry.  ;-)

> So, in case you won't object, I will.
>
> Until now the similarity to CDE has been one of the defining features of
> the project. I would be hesitant to throw that away too easily (mind you
> I don't even know CDE myself).

	What I meant to say above was that I don't mind if there are multiple
"looks" using themes or whatever as long as it keeps the CDE
look'n'feel.  I am fairly confident that Olivier will keep at least one
configuration setting that will look and feel like CDE.  FWLIW, I
actually have the real CDE for Linux so I can always fall back to it if
something unthinkable should happen.

> Especially if the requested features of OS X are the transparancy, the
> dropshadows and the dock animations it does not fit very well with the
> goal of the project to be leightweight.
> I'm affraid the system load will already increase a lot because of the
> use of GTK2. Keeping the themeing system as simple as possible should be
> a priority.

	I was thinking that OS X would be like the screen shot that Olivier
posted as "aqua".

> For people wanting to work with OS X-like systems wouldn't windowmaker
> or even a much customized GNOME be a more suitable choice?

	I don't know.  That's a good question.  Not that I'm interested in
finding out, really.  I have an iMac with OS X on it.

> Anyway, these are just my opinions at the moment. I'm willing to be
> convinced of other viewpoints ;-)
>
> BTW, I'm trying to port the panel to GTK2 at the moment and I would like
> to here any specific ideas about improvements to the panel or missing
> feature that you can't live without or, even better, existing features
> that you can't live with.

	FWIW, if you want to see what the "real" CDE looks like for a
comparison I can get you a copy if they are still selling it.  If not I
would be happy to send you my copy for your testing.

--
Using Linux since 11/91		|		http://www.linux.org
Linux user #29402		|		http://counter.li.org