Xfwm4 now in CVS !!

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat May 4 00:16:32 CEST 2002

Hi all,

Xfwm4 is now in CVS for the most adventurous ;-)

What it does already :

- It's based on gtk-2.0
- It uses pango for font rendering, so it handles plenty of characters
sets and can use aa text if GDK_USE_XFT is set
- It implements both GNOME and NET standards, so you can play with
GNOME, Xfce and KDE all at the same time.
- It looks pretty cool and run fairly fast, at least on the systems I've
tested
- It's stable, I switched both at work and at home and I didn't
encounter a crash for a loooong time. However, don't sue me if you run
it and loose the work that should have been done for yesterday ;-)

What it doesn't do

- No task list, no icons. Use either kicker from KDE or panel from GNOME
if you want this. Later, a separate task manager will be added, so it's
not a feature that is missing in xfwm4, it will simply be a separate
application...

What it doesn't do yet :

Xinerama, session management.

To test it :

1) Make sure you have GTK-2.0 installed on your system (get it from
http://www.gtk.org), including pkg-config, pango, atk, glib-2.0.1 and
gtk-2.0.2

2) Retrieve xfwm4's sources
# cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.xfce.sf.net:/cvsroot/xfce login
# cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.xfce.sf.net:/cvsroot/xfce co
xfce-devel/xfwm4

3) Compile xfwm4

cd xfce-devel/xfwm4
./configure && make && make install-strip

Note that the install procedure is not optimum yet, so it's safer to let
configure install it in /usr/local

4) For best results, copy xfce-devel/xfwm4/example.xfwm4rc to
$HOME/.xfwm4rc

5) edit $HOME/.xfwm4rc and set the options according to your taste. The
file is quite self explanatory, however, one cool feature you can test
is themes.

theme=/usr/local/share/xfwm4/themes/<theme>

where <theme> can be :

agua
coldsteel
cruxish
gtk
next
oroborus
platinum
redmond
slimline
windows
xfce

You can also choose what buttons are visible and where they are located

# button_layout :
#    O = Option menu
#    T = Stick
#    H = hide
#    S = shade
#    M = maximize
#    C = close
#    | = title

The default is

button_layout=OTS|HMC

6) By hard linking ~/.gtkrc to ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (ln ~/.gtkrc ~/.gtkrc-2.0),
you'll be able to change colors on the fly using the xfce panel.

7) You can use the attached xinitrc as a starting point.

Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.
Designed for productivity,  it loads  and  executes  applications fast,
while conserving  system resources. XFce is all free software, released
under GNU General Public License.    Available from http://www.xfce.org