Xfce4 architecture.

Guido Draheim guidod-2002- at gmx.de
Wed Mar 27 19:51:11 CET 2002

Es schrieb Olivier Fourdan:

> Guido,
>
> > that is no fvwm-protocol, no fvwm-like modules bound via file-pipes.
>
> Correct. xsettings will be used to set colors, fonts, etc. to xfwm.
>
> >   can you explicitly declare the new freedesktop wm-protocol
> >   to be used for the windowmanager config-messages? (it's
> >   using root-win property-changenotify).
>
> Yes. (And xsettings use root window property too)

not quite. They just store a pointer there to deduce the settings-window
from - the actual settings are stored in a property of that settings-window.

* quote from http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xsettings/xsettings.html:

On startup, each client should identify the settings window by calling
XGetSelectionOwner() for the _XSETTINGS_S[N] selection and select for
notification on the settings window by calling XSelectInput() with a mask of StructureNotifyMask|PropertyChangeMask.
[...]
The client can then proceed to read contents of the _XSETTINGS_SETTINGS
property from the settings window and interpret according to the information
in the "_XSETTINGS_SETTINGS Format" section of this document.