Large changes for xfce4 in CVS

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Thu Dec 12 11:06:37 CET 2002

This one is for all of you out there who thought the panel was buggy.
Well, you've never seen buggy!

I just made a rather large update to cvs. Highlights of this update
(mostly internal changes, BTW):

o A desktop switcher plugin instead of the special case central panel
  code. A bit of a feature regression here, because you can't change the
  number of desktops and the screen names yet (except in the config
  file). On the other hand the switcher now uses a X root property to
  set(and read) the desktop names so they can be shared with other
  apps.

o As a consequence of the previous change, side panels are now gone.
  There is only one big list of panel groups. This should also,
  hopefully, solve the bug(s) in moving the panel items. Can someone
  test this, please?

o Use netk_* functions where possible.

o Panel now can be on three 'layers': On top, normal, and on bottom. (I
  just notice 'normal' doesn't work yet)

o split the main program code and panel specific code from xfce.c into
  main.c and panel.c.

o Many small fixes and probably many more new bugs.

o Perhaps most shocking: I removed the frame around the desktop switcher
  buttons. This is absolutely _not_ CDE-like, but I think it's a bit
  cleaner, especially in 'modern style' and it buys us one or two pixels
  extra space for the label, which is especially nice in tiny mode.
  Please let me know what you think.

Enjoy,
	Jasper

PS
I should be sick more often. Then I can stay home and play with my
computer ...

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net