Proposal for a general setup panel (overview)

Jasper Huijsmans huysmans at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 29 15:21:09 CEST 2002

Thomas Leonard wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 11:32:09PM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

[...]

> So... the user chooses 'Settings...' in the application, which sends a
> message to the XSettings manager, which runs the plug-in provided by the
> application, which displays its settings?

If you put it like this it does feel like there is one step too many.
But it's the price of having separate programs for everything.

> Won't the options window be rather big, with all the options from every
> application in it? (ROX-Filer's box is pretty big, and that's just one
> app!). How about having a central list of applications in one window, but
> having the application open a full screen options window when clicked.
> Then you don't need any plugins, just execute 'xfwm4 --options' or
> something.

Of course, rox is not just one app ;-). It is a filer, a panel and a
pinboard all-in-one. But perhaps your right that there will be a lot of
options.

Perhaps it would work if we just made a style manager like that of CDE
that starts separate configuration programs.

Olivier seems to like this xsettings system a lot though ;-). The nice
part is that it's independent of the front-end used to set the options.
The app just listens for changes to the XSETTINGS property.

> I'd like to use xfwm4 from ROX, but it would need an options box that
> works on its own...

You could always add the options to ROX Session.

greetings,
	Jasper