Now this is an ugly theme ;-)

Jasper Huijsmans huysmans at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 26 22:17:06 CEST 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:44:40 +0530
Biju Chacko <botsie at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2002 15:00:06 +0200, Jens Luedicke wrote:
>
> > could you embed it somehow into the xfce panel? maybe as
> > a module or so.
>
> Jasper,
>
> I think that some kind of generic way to handle plugins that need more
> space than just an icon is needed. Jens' suggestion to embed the pager
> into the panel is one such. The taskbar, if it makes a comeback for
> xfce4, would be another.

I think you need to write your own panel, with all the features you
want ;-) (For all clarity, please note this is a joke)

If we want to retain the CDE panel design, we are limited in our
possibilities for adding plugins as you suggested. There are basically
only two areas where plugins larger than icons: the central section and
below the panel. These are mostly useful for special modules (pagers
and taskbars), which can more easily be treated as special global
options than as generic plugins.

Hmm, I hope that made some sense.

If, however the panel would evolve more in the direction of the
screenshot Eugenia produced (see one of the parent mails) there might
be room for more general plugins. I think it will be rather difficult
to combine the two designs. Although maybe the entire central section
can be a plugin ...

It will require a lot of fundamental changes and especially the
configuration is going to be much more complicated. I don't see an easy
way to let the user interact with the panel to add or remove arbitrary
plugins.

In conclusion, I don't say it can't be done, but it will take someone
with a lot more time than me to implement it in the forseeable future.

greetings,
	Jasper

> -- b
>
> --

IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net