Proposal for a general setup panel (overview)

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Sun Aug 18 16:16:14 CEST 2002

On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 04:35, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> I really love to see such a system. I just always have difficulty
> understanding the X properties and messages. I need to find some example
> code for that to improve my X programming skills.

The X handbook will probably your best bet. I've found that my previous
X experience has helped me a lot with gtk, especially since gtk not
always covers what X can accomplish (it is a subset of X), or in an
easier way.

> A common way to store the configuration would perhaps also be nice to
> have. Something xml based. Perhaps even a way to build the config module
> from an xml file. Like what the ROX options system does.

But best have a single module do all the xml parsing and stuff. That
would enable xml-illiterate developers to just use the X message passing
with the application Olivier suggests.

> I'm now working on unifying the panel control interface (launcher icons
> and panel modules). And I want to have an instant-apply dialog for the
> panel controls as well.
>
> Greetings,
> 	Jasper
>

> --
> IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net

Well, for the first time I'm trying to see how this IRC thing works. I
believe it's being filtered by the firewall of my free-ISP, but I must
look into my mail archives to remember how Joe got around such a
problem.

saludos

Edscott