Time to jump in

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 8 08:17:39 CEST 2002

On 07 Aug 2002 16:06:39 -0400, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> 	Ok, I guess it's time I think about jumping into the XFce4 pool.
>
> Question; I am running RH 7.3 with all errata.  Is there anything more
> I need to have installed to run XFce4?  Does gtk2 come with this
> beast?  I would prefer to not have to put more crap^H^H^H^H libraries
> on this box

The bundled gtk2 libs work fine for me. I don't know whether or not they
are installed by default because I installed RH manually (don't ask).

And on the XFce4 front: for those of you who are contemplating moving to
it here are my impressions:

Currently, XFce4 consists of just xfwm4 and the xfce4 panel. Both are
remarkably stable, xfwm4 marginally less so IMO. You would need an
installation of XFce3 to get most the handy utilities. There is an
almost complete absence of configuration programs. You should not mind
poking into rc files to configure things. Of course, since there is no
documentation you may have some trouble *finding* the correct rc file to
poke into. The two programs are not very integrated yet.

I am sure this all sounds very negative, but don't let it stop you. I
have been using them exclusively for the last couple of weeks and am far
happier with them than I was with many other more famous desktops.

-- Botsie