XFCE modernisation

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 28 06:09:15 CEST 2023

On Sat, 2023-05-27 at 23:15 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I will only go to a support forum when **I** have problems.  I will not
> go to a forum to see if I can help others.
>
> Forums eat up constant cpu resources.

Hi,

in other words, you can also say that you can only help others in a
forum if you search the sections, which would be as if the fire brigade
were driving through the city with all their emergency vehicles all day
looking for fires.

Gamification makes the platform feel like a crappy smartphone game. I
don't own a smartphone for good reasons, and if I ever find a good
reason for me to get a smartphone, I certainly won't be swiping and
pinching on that thing all day. I'm a modern person, not anti-tech at
all, but I'm not a fashion idiot. Gnome already exists, why should
alternative desktop environments imitate Gnome?

By the way, the survey misses everything that is really relevant for
power users for many reasons, e.g. I don't use Xfce4 at all, but use
parts of Xfce4. An Arch Linux user usually approaches things differently
than a Manjaro user. For me, a custom theme is a theme that I've edited.
You could also use Xfce4 and just replace xfce4-panel with fbpanel,
lxpanel, gnome-panel and more, 2 above, 2 below, 2 left and 2 right,
because we use BSD and/or Linux.

We have different kinds of skills and needs, hence there isn't something
wrong with feature requests, just asking to change the whole approach is
idiotic.

Btw. I didn't know that Xfce has got a slogan. What is this slogan?

However, we should start by renaming all Xfce related apps. I will even
start by renaming myself. I guess from now on I will change my name with
each email. I will install ChatGPT and ask it to provide me a new slogan
for each mail I'm writing.

Regards,
Barnacle Boy (no slogan yet, ChatGPT isn't installed)