How do I fix my profile

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jul 1 13:17:54 CEST 2023

On Sat, 2023-07-01 at 01:30 -0700, Todd Chester wrote:
> All my text is mixed English and Arabic.

Hi,

with that less information it's impossible to help, hence I can only do
wild guessing.

I suspect that somewhere the LANG variable is set to Arabic and some
items are probably in English, because for those items no Arabic
translation does exist, hence those items fallback to English

In what language is the menubar of xfce4-terminal?

Assuming you are using a display manager and assuming it is lightdm,
take a look at ~/.dmrc .

"4.1 My system is still using wrong language
[snip]
LightDM will automatically use accountsservice to set a user's locale if
it is installed. Otherwise, LightDM stores the user session
configuration in ~/.dmrc. It is possible that an unwanted locale setting
is retrieved from there as well.
[snip]" - https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Locale

I'm not running a XFCE session, but I started my openbox session using
lightdm. This is how it does look for my session:

   • rocketmouse at archlinux ~
   $ cat .dmrc
   [Desktop]
   Language=en_US.utf8
   Session=openbox-lcd-realignment
   • rocketmouse at archlinux ~
   $ locale
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
   LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
   LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
   LC_COLLATE=C
   LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
   LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
   LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
   LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
   LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
   LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
   LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
   LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
   LC_ALL=

IIRC it's possible to change the language by the lightdm-greeter. I
don't know if it depends on the used greeter.

Regards,
Ralf