remove window decoration?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 10:53:07 CEST 2023

On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 at 10:43, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult <
lkml at metux.net> wrote:

> On 18.03.23 09:52, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> > (How) is it possible to remove the decoration (title bar and buttons) of
> > specific window?
> >
> > With fvwm (some decades ago) it was possible to define which windows
> > (names) shall be displayed without decorations, e.g. clock, xbiff, etc.
>
> xfwm4 doesn't support this - you'll have to use some external program
> that waits for the window to appear and change the correspond wm hints.
>
> i've made a PR on xfwm4 for "window policies" which allow to do those
> things via the window manager, but the maintainer obviously doesn't
> want more features in xfwm4.

Please, that is complete nonsense, I have never stated that I do not want
new features in xfwm4.

But those features must remain within the scope and goals of the project.

Adding features to make xfwm4 behave like fvwm2 is definitely not one of
them.

xfwm4 follows what the X11 client (application) requests and will not add
complex configuration options to enforce a different behaviour.

I hope that clarifies.

Olivier