Feature: fix borders for misbehaving applications

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult lkml at metux.net
Thu Oct 20 15:24:04 CEST 2022

Hello friends,

here's yet another one of my recently implemented features:

forcing borders/decorations around windows via window policies.

Rationale: lots of applications deliberately break UI consistency
and going against user's will by explicitly removing borders/
decorations and trying to reimplement standard window manager
functionality in their own funny ways. The most notable examples
like MS-Teams can't be fixed the source (needless to say that those
vendors have no intention whatsoever to fix this). Therefore, we need
a way to bring back the user's choice, which has been requested by
tickets since a long time.

By using window policies (see *1) this is trivial to handle:
the user has now the free choice to enforce the desired behavior
in a very simple ways.

Since this feature is based on the generic window policies feature,
the patch is found in the window-policies queue:

https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/merge_requests/55

have fun,

*1) https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2022-October/033043.html

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert