RFC: xfwm4: drop legacy KDE systray emulation

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult lkml at metux.net
Wed Oct 19 16:47:57 CEST 2022

On 19.10.22 15:59, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-10-19 at 15:22 +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
> wrote:
>> Is there anybody out there who still has practical use for it ?
>
> Does this refer to the "Status Tray Plugin" for the panel, or is that
> something native?

Don't think so - this plugin seems to communicate via dbus, calling some
kde specific endpoints. Maybe that's how KDE folks do this these days.

>> It's not built unless explicitly enabled
>
> I'm running XFCE on Gentoo, and I don't find a USE flag for either
> xfwm4 or nor xfce4-panel.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Maybe Gentoo maintainers also ignored this, since it's marked as
deprecated and unmaintained.

> I'd like to make sure we aren't talking about the same things, because
> I rely heavily on the status tray plugin.

Feel free to test my patch :)
(Gentoo makes adding custom patches quite easy).

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert