thunar: bind sendto action to shortcut key?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Oct 2 12:57:18 CEST 2022

On Sun, 2022-10-02 at 11:25 +0200, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> I have created a "sendto" custom action for thunar [...]
> I can call it with [right mouse button] -> "Send To" -> "fexmail"
>
> (How) can I bind it to a shortcut key, e.g. [Ctrl] F ?

Hi,

if you don't want to unsuccessfully run from pillar to post, as users
has to do by

https://docs.xfce.org/4.16/faq#how_to_configure_shortcutshotkeysmenu_accelerators

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/1.4/faq

then you migrate to an application aimed to be customized by users. Even
better is to use such apps in the first place. For a file manager I
recommend http://ignorantguru.github.io/spacefm/ . Among other nice
features SpaceFM provides a top bar menu named "Tools", which allows the
user to do way more than what you want to do, but you can use it for
your purpose, too. It continues to work in the same way after migrating
from one to another GTK major version, since the app is aimed for
customisation.

IOW if somebody should explain you how to change the keybindings for
your current version of Thunar, you already know that it will change
again and again in the future, hence better migrate today.

Look and feel of SpaceFM is more or less equal to Thunar and similar
file managers, while e.g. the Rodent file manager is completely
different. IOW when migrating to SpaceFM, you don't need to get used to
something completely new.

Disclaimer: I prefer using command line over a file manager, but
occasionally I'm using SpaceFM, due to the "Tools" I added and allocated
to a key shortcut.

Regards,
Ralf