ANNOUNCE: xfce-config-helper 1.0 released

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 01:17:33 CEST 2022

Hello,

xfce-config-helper is a tool I've developed over the course of many
years in order to properly manage xfce configurations.

Instead of fiddling with many XML files with tons of cruft, you can
edit a single YAML file:

  ---
  shortcuts:
    commands:
      "<Super>Return": xfce4-terminal
    wm:
      show_desktop: "<Super>d"
  settings:
    xfwm4:
      "/general/easy_click": Super
  panels:
  - position: p=10;x=0;y=0
    plugins:
    - - whiskermenu
    - - tasklist
    - - pager

The format is simple, and the configuration can be loaded on the fly with

  xfconf-load config.yml

Since the last release now there's an option to load an existing
configuration in order to minimize the differences while dumping your
current configuration:

  xfconf-dump original-config.yml > new-config.yml
  diff -u original-config.yml new-config.yml

I've recorded myself using this feature and updating an existing
configuration file using git here:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyh-isIEWUA

For more information and installation instructions check the GitHub repo [1].

If you are using Arch Linux, I've also created an AUR package:
xfce-config-helper [2].

Enjoy!

[1] https://github.com/felipec/xfce-config-helper
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xfce-config-helper