I need xfce4-notifyd help

killermoehre at gmx.net killermoehre at gmx.net
Thu Jul 21 11:08:42 CEST 2022

> Am 21.07.2022 um 07:23 schrieb ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com>:
>
> On 7/20/22 18:47, Douglas R. Reno wrote:
>> On 7/20/22 20:43, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Would someone write me a quick command line
>>> to pop up something from xfce4-notifyd?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>
>> I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've got this in Beyond Linux From Scratch's page for xfce4-notifyd:
>> notify-send -i info Information "Hi ${USER}, This is a Test"
>> - Douglas R. Reno
>
> Yes thank you.
>
> I am now looking for how to call xfce4-notifyd
> from a program with a system call.

This really depends on your programming language of choice. In the end, xfce4-notifyd is just a "frontend" for the XDG Desktop Notification Spec [1]. A popular library implementing this spec is libnotify [2], which has bindings in many languages. Of course, you could send raw DBUS messages as well, also possible with many programming languages.

So, in the end it depends on your work environment on what to use.

[1] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/notification-spec/notification-spec-latest.html
[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libnotify