Wayland and Xfce

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jan 10 14:23:05 CET 2022

On 1/10/22 05:59, Alex wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> we have this wayland roadmap:
> https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap
>
> Though currently nobody is working on it.
>
> Like you can see, many components already run fine on wayland, though
> others do not and how to port them is to be discussed.
>
> Manjeet Singh started to look into GtkPlug replacement, however afaik
> his work is currently stalled.
> @Manjeet: It would be great if you could open an issue to sum up what
> you figured out so far.

Thanks for the update.  I kind of wish I could lend a hand, but I left
programming sooooo long ago.  I never even programmed in C, only B.

Though I semi-jokingly say I program in English as I help write
standards.  In IETF, IEEE, ASTM, and others.  We have painfully learned
over the decades to really pay attention to those commas and CapitaliZaTion.

> > One cute comment I saw that Xfce will have to be called 'E', as it is
> no longer 'fc' and once it jettisons X, well...
>
> Pfff, not interested in wasting the spare resources in renaming.
> Currently the abbreviation doesn't stand for anything:
> https://docs.xfce.org/faq#what_does_it_mean

Been there in so many standards.  We come up with a good name and
somewhere along the way we get disconnected from why we came up with the
name, but it is too late to change.  The marketers already own the name.