ANN: New tool xfce-config-helper

andre at andreldm.com andre at andreldm.com
Mon Feb 14 22:17:15 CET 2022

Hi Felipe,

My goal was to later write a writer/reader to handle a format similar to i3's config file, but I guess your goal is very close to mine.

Regarding the file format, YAML is acceptable, though from experience it's really easy to mess it up. I would use the rc format already used by Xfce, for example:

[thunar]
hidden-bookmarks=['computer:///', 'recent:///']
last-view='ThunarDetailsView'
last-window-width=170

[xfce4-panel]
panels=[0]
panels/panel-0/autohide-behavior=0
panels/panel-0/length=100

IMO that's more friendly and doesn't require a YAML parser.

Regarding Ruby, I believe most users don't have it installed, using shell or even python would be more appropriate.

All in all this a nice addition to Xfce, what do you think about pushing this upstream? If you're interested let's continue this discussion at https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfconf/-/issues/29 :)

Cheers,
Andre Miranda

Feb 10, 2022, 08:00 by xfce-request at xfce.org: