Xfce financial contributions migrate to OpenCollective

Kevin Bowen kevin.bowen at gmail.com
Sun May 30 22:23:48 CEST 2021

[Resend with better formatting]

contributions. Contributions can now be processed in both U.S.
Dollars($) and Euros(€). If you would like to make a contribution, see
[1] for details.

----

Earlier this month, Xfce, as part of an overall effort to migrate
financial contributions away from bountysource.com, joined
OpenCollective.com to manage its finances going forward. The reason for
this change is, briefly, summarized in this [2] blogpost.

Xfce has created two collectives, known as 'Xfce'[4] and 'Xfce-eu'[5],
respectively. `Xfce` will process and handle all financial
contribution/donation transactions in U.S. Dollars supporting methods
such as PayPal, SWIFT transfers and credit cards. The Xfce-eu collective
is set up to allow transactions in EUR currency using SEPA transfers and
credit cards.

In addition to handling processing fees and holding Xfce's financial
contributions, Open Collective also provides resources for payment
authorization and dispersal, monthly reporting, transaction
transparency. See [6] for an example of the last two features. Note:
processing times and fees differ between to the two collectives.
Briefly, 'Xfce' is a 10% fee, and 'Xfce-eu' is 6%. Details on this can
be found under the two collectives' fiscal hosts: 'Open Source
Collective' [7] and 'Open Collective Europe' [8].

It is estimated that the remaining funds in bountysource will be
transferred out and distributed amongst the two OpenCollective fiscal
hosts sometime by the end of next month.

Going forward, there may be additional announcements regarding
fundraising goals, budgets, and implementation of additional
OpenCollective functionality. At the current time, there are no plans
for expenditures, disbursements, or purchases.

I realize that there may be a bit of terminology that is unclear, or
unfamiliar. If interested, please take some time to look over [3] for
additional details on OpenCollective, its services and functionality.

Let me know if you have questions and I will try to answer them to the
best of my ability. I am usually available on the #xfce-dev channel
(@maggotbrain).

Thanks for your time,
Kevin Bowen

[1]: https://docs.xfce.org/contribute/start#financial_contributions