Desktop Default Settings Background XFCE 4.16

Silvio Knizek killermoehre at gmx.net
Wed May 19 20:08:32 CEST 2021

Am Dienstag, dem 18.05.2021 um 23:43 +0200 schrieb Marcus Orthbandt:
> In new system-installations with XFCE 4.16 will be  generated a xfce4-
> desktop.xml with the Group "<property name="monitorDisplayPort-0"
> type="empty">" after first user-login.
>
> I would create own Distribution Default-Settings for Backdrops. But I
> don't know which Property-Name for the Monitor will be created.
>  Can I use a WILDCARD in my xfce4-desktop.xml for the Monitor-Name,
> perhaps "monitor*"?
> At this time, I found no solution to Copy a default xfce4-desktop.xml
> to the User-Directory at start to set Default Backdrop-Settings.
>
>  Marcus
Hi Marcus,

iff I read the code [1] right, than the actual default image is hard
coded at compile time (not an option for you if you don't want to be
your own distributor).
xfdesktop itself writes its config with three different values (see
[2])
- screen number,
- monitor number or name and
- workspace number.
The only unknown for you is obviously the monitor number/name, as we
can assume a 0 for both screen and workspace.
A quick test revealed that setting monitor to 0 didn't work. Only
directly the name is sufficent.
As no one can pre-seed the configuration with all possible monitor
names (as they also depend on the video driver used), I would suggest
you open an issue in the bug tracker [3], as this is a regression in my
opinion.

BR
Silvio

[1]