Inline images in w3m on XFCE Terminal

Silvio Knizek killermoehre at gmx.net
Sun May 16 01:37:25 CEST 2021

Am Sonntag, dem 16.05.2021 um 00:00 +0200 schrieb Silvio Knizek:
> So as long as there is no inbuild option in xfce4-terminal (and in
> vte3) to render images directly in the terminal, I don't think you can
> use xfce4-terminal with w3m to display images.
I checked the current vte3 source code and lo and behold: the current
git version has actual SIXEL support, which can be used to render
images directly in the terminal [1].
So what you can try is to build your own vte3 with added `-Dsixel=true`
and than recompile xfce4-terminal to make sure everything is clean
linked. Than install aur/libsixel and call w3m with the `-sixel`
parameter.
aur/vte3-git seems to be really outdated at least for the PKGBUILD, so
your best bet would be to adjust the extra/vte3 PKGBUILD.

HTH
Silvio

[1]
https://github.com/GNOME/vte/commit/9b879a3c326118ec8bd7657a7ac11d78f084e6c0