Default Windows position

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Nov 16 06:51:56 CET 2020

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 17:45:39 -0800, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>On 2020-11-15 04:54, Gaël Bonithon wrote:
>> For Leafpad I don't know, but for Mousepad you can set this with
>> `gsettings` under
>> * `org.xfce.mousepad.state.window` for the geometry (see `gsettings
>> list-recursively org.xfce.mousepad.state.window`);
>> * `org.xfce.mousepad.preferences.view` (key `font-name`) for the
>> default font.
>>
>> Then, you can override `mousepad` command with a little script in
>> your `~/bin` that forces these settings before launching Mousepad,
>> or simply disable "Remember window position/state" in Mousepad
>> preferences dialog (and uncheck "Use system monospace font").
>
>Can you recommend a tutorial on gsettings?

A mini tutorial:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ man gsettings
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings help
Usage:
  gsettings --version
  gsettings [--schemadir SCHEMADIR] COMMAND [ARGS…]

Commands:
  help                      Show this information
  list-schemas              List installed schemas
  list-relocatable-schemas  List relocatable schemas
  list-keys                 List keys in a schema
  list-children             List children of a schema
  list-recursively          List keys and values, recursively
  range                     Queries the range of a key
  describe                  Queries the description of a key
  get                       Get the value of a key
  set                       Set the value of a key
  reset                     Reset the value of a key
  reset-recursively         Reset all values in a given schema
  writable                  Check if a key is writable
  monitor                   Watch for changes

Use “gsettings help COMMAND” to get detailed help.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings list-schemas | grep mousepad
org.xfce.mousepad.preferences.view
org.xfce.mousepad
org.xfce.mousepad.preferences.window
org.xfce.mousepad.preferences
org.xfce.mousepad.state.window
org.xfce.mousepad.state.search
org.xfce.mousepad.state
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings list-recursively org.xfce.mousepad.state.window
org.xfce.mousepad.state.window fullscreen false
org.xfce.mousepad.state.window width 640
org.xfce.mousepad.state.window left -1
org.xfce.mousepad.state.window top -1
org.xfce.mousepad.state.window maximized false
org.xfce.mousepad.state.window height 480
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings get org.xfce.mousepad.state.window maximized
false
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings set org.xfce.mousepad.state.window maximized true
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings get org.xfce.mousepad.state.window maximized
true
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$

Regards,
Ralf