Tip: how to prune your Open With list

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Sat May 30 00:59:48 CEST 2020

Hi All,

Fedora 32, x64
Xfce 4.14
Thunar-1.8.14-1.fc32.x86_64
krusader-2.7.2-2.fc32.x86_64

After using your computer for a while, you will notice
that your "Open With" dialogue starts to fill up
with  duplicates and others stray entries you don't
want. I have attached a screen shot (from Krusader)
showing the issue:

https://ibb.co/vcGnkPP

Thunar does not have the ability (or at least one I could
find) to handle this.  But Krusader does:

--> Krusader
   --> right click on the file
     --> select Properties
       --> "File Options" (tab)
         --> File Type Options (button half way down)

File Type Options gives you the ability to Add, Edit,
Remove entries from your Open With list.  And it does
migrate to Thunar.

I have attached another screen shot of File Type Options
for *.png

https://ibb.co/b1tJNkB

What a mess!  I have to clean up .png something big time!

I have opened a Request for Enhancement (RFE) to
Thunar over at

RFE: give ability to delete Open With entries
https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/-/issues/309

Took me years to figure this out.  Ed over on the
Fedora mailing list told me how.

Happy cleaning!

-T