Dual monitors waking up but not going back to sleep

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Wed May 6 15:17:23 CEST 2020

Hi,

I have dual monitors configured on a Fedora 30 PC running XFCE 4 .14.
Using the Screensaver (xscreensaver) settings GUI I've configured the
monitors to be powered off after 15 minutes of inactivity. 90+% of the
time the monitors do get powered off, but every once in a while I'll
come back to my PC and see that the monitors are blanked with backlight
on instead of being powered off. The PC is in a vibration-prone
location--above the building furnace and near a street that gets some
truck traffic--so I've considered the possibility that the mouse might
move around on its own and wake up the monitors, but it seems that once
the monitors turn back on they don't go back to sleep unless I first
unblank the monitors by pressing a key or moving the mouse and then wait
for the inactivity timer to turn them off again.

Any suggestions on how I might troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Dave