Signal desktop won't start-in-tray anymore

Matt Connell matt at connell.tech
Tue Mar 24 17:57:39 CET 2020

Hello, hoping someone else might have encountered the same issue I'm
facing or might have a nudge in the right direction for me.

Prior to a few weeks ago, I could run the Signal desktop application and
have it start and persist in my notification area, so that I could close
the window and keep the application running.  I used an application
shortcut like this:

 > /opt/Signal/signal-desktop --start-in-tray --no-sandbox %U

This stopped working a while back.  The application will run, but there
is no persistence and if I close the window I can't get it back.

I experience the same behavior on three different XFCE + Gentoo
machines.  I'm running XFCE 4.14 on Gentoo Linux on all three, and all
three are up to date on (stable) packages inside of the past week.

Some searching leads me to some solutions that have reportedly worked
for Gnome and KDE desktop users, but I haven't gotten any change in
behavior under XFCE.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas I could try?

Thanks in advance!

--
MC