How is notifyd supposed to be started?

Silvio Knizek killermoehre at gmx.net
Wed Apr 1 08:45:19 CEST 2020

Am Samstag, den 28.03.2020, 18:46 +0100 schrieb Kai-Martin Knaak:
> I noted that notifyd was not running on my Desktop. The application
> itself is installed. It just wasn't running. I am able to start it
> manually:
>
> --------------------8<--------------------------------------
> $ systemctl --user start xfce4-notifyd.service
> $ systemctl --user status xfce4-notifyd.service
> ● xfce4-notifyd.service - XFCE notifications service
>      Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/xfce4-notifyd.service; static; vendo>
>      Active: active (running) since Sat 2020-03-28 17:58:49 CET; 9min ago
>    Main PID: 7668 (xfce4-notifyd)
>      CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user at 1000.service/xfce4-notifyd.service
>              └─7668 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd
>
> Mar 28 17:58:49 swips systemd[1577]: Starting XFCE notifications service...
> Mar 28 17:58:49 swips systemd[1577]: Started XFCE notifications service.
> $
> ------------------->8----------------------------------------
>
> Afterwards, the demon seems to work as expected. I can trigger a test
> notification and applications successfully use the facility.
>
> So how and where is the notify demon supposed to be started in the first
> place?
>
> ---<)kaimartin(>---
>
> PS: My current set-up:
> OS: Debian, bullseye
> desktop environment: XFCE
> display manager: sddm

Hi,

the notification daemon is supposed to be started either by hand or by
dbus.
You see, every notification daemon is providing the well-known name
org.freedesktop.Notifications on the session bus. Therefor, no
application has to hardcode a list of potential notification backends.
As soon as some application wants to show some notification via dbus,
dbus looks it list up of available service-providers (/usr/share/dbus-
1/services) and uses the lexically first it finds providing
org.freedesktop.Notifications. That's the reason why if two or more
provider are installed, xfce4-notifyd will "always" loose, because
org.gnome, org.kde, org.dmenu and so for are always before org.xfce.

HTH
killermoehre