Strange shadow-like behavior with GTK applications

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 22 22:50:23 CEST 2019

Hi,

I don't know the cause for those shadows. I'm not using a DE, just the
openbox WM and gtk3-nocsd. Here the evince window is without shadows.

Testing what happens with gtk3-nocsd might be a starting point.

Btw. I like window manager features such as "always on top" and title
bars that indicate which window is active, even if it's not on top.
Those features are dropped by some modern GTK based DEs. I recommend to
take a look at the different Ubuntu flavour live DVDs to see which way
the wind is blowing. Btw. I've seen those shadows when running Ubuntu
flavor live DVDs. It's not just menu bars vs burger menus, window title
bar theme consistency, the new DE designs (perhaps not Xfce) usually are
dropping useful features.

Regards,
Ralf