Problems maintaining the screen resolution

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Mon Mar 4 19:58:55 CET 2019

Hi all,

I'm running the version of XFCE (4.12) from the Ubuntu distros, and
Ubuntu 18 LTS. My monitor is an Element 32" TV with an HDMI connection
to an NVidia graphics card (I forget the exact model, but can look it
up if needed).

My resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, and everything is correct when
the PC is first booted. As long as I use the PC, it's all fine, but if
I step away for long enough for the TV to go into standby mode, then
the desktop is set to 1360x768 when I move the mouse or hit the shift
key to wake things up again, and I then have to go into

applications | settings | display

to set it back to 1920x1080. This, to put it mildly, rapidly becomes a
PITA. :(

Does anybody know a way of forcing the desktop to stay in the higher
resolution even through a trip into monitor standby? I'm not certain
whether this is a monitor or an XFCE problem, but I've already found
out that Element's so-called technical support are neither use nor
ornament, their only aim in life seems to be to convince the user that
it's not the TV which is at fault. :( The last (only) time I contacted
them, their answer was pure BS.

Thanks,

Brian.

--
Please note the forced change to my e-mail address.
Keep the bit BEFORE the @ the same, but use (preferably)