Move windows across workspaces with arrow keys

Björn Baumbach bb at sernet.de
Tue Jun 4 20:48:19 CEST 2019

On 6/4/19 1:32 PM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
> El 27/5/19 a las 16:20, Björn Baumbach escribió:
>> On enlightenment, which I've used before for years, it was possible to
>> grab a window with [Alt]+[left Mouse] and then switch to a different
>> workspace. Then the grabbed window is also moved to the new workspace
>> and is still grabbed.
>> On xfce4 I switch to a different workspace by [ALT]+[one of the arrow
>> Keys]. If I now grab a window and try to move it to a new workspace (by
>> switching the workspace), I just move the window a short distance on the
>> same workspace in the expected direction.
>> Additionally, when I presss [Alt]+[left Mouse], it takes up to a second
>> before the mouse pointer switches to the "move"-symbol. I've to await
>> this time until I can move the window.
>>
>> In the Windows Manager Keyword settings I've specified the following:
>>
>> Move window: empty
>> Move window to *: empty
>> Upper workspace: Alt+Up
>> Bottom workspace: Alt+Down
>> Left ...
>>
>> Unfortunately I do currently not see an option to achieve the old
>> familiar behaviour.
>> I know, there are other options to move windows to other workspaces, but
>> I would like to use the mentioned way.
>
> I use this combination:
>
> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow left
> Mays+Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow right
>
> To move to previous or next workspace
>
> You can set them into Window Manager settings.
>
> I hope this helps you.

Thank you very much for your answer! I does not know what "Mays" mean,
but I just tried the the "Move window to upper|left|... workspace" (with
e.g. Ctrl+Up") and this does nearly exactly what I want! It moves the
focused window, switches the workspace at the same time and the window
still does have the focus - great!

Thanks a lot!
Björn

phone: 0551-370000-0, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de
Gesch.F.: Dr. Johannes Loxen und Reinhild Jung
AG Göttingen: HR-B 2816 - http://www.sernet.de

Samba eXPerience 2019, Hotel Freizeit In
sponsored by Google, Microsoft & Red Hat
June, 4th - 6th 2019, http://sambaXP.org