How to restore session manager

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jul 20 12:40:24 CEST 2019

On Sat, 2019-07-20 at 10:53 +0200, houghi wrote:
> On 2019-07-20 05:50, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > You are the expert for the issue you experience, it isn't the doctor
> > who
> > knows what you experience. After the communication the doctor might
> > know
> > more than you, but in the first place, you are the one who knows the
> > most
> > and you are the one who needs to describe the details.
>
> So true.
> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise and the rest
> is also an interesting read.
> For people asking questions, reading the whole thing is a must.

:)

IMO it's not needed to read this, before asking a question. Just horse-
sense is required, resp. what we say to our doctor or the worker who
should repair our washing machine. Sometimes we are overwhelmed, so we
tend to miss the forest for the trees and asked stupid questions, but
even this isn't an issue, if we provide more information, after we got
hints what additional information we should provide.

The impression that an xfce4 session is "lost" could be right, but it
also could be wrong. For example:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ nemo --help-all | grep no-desktop
  --no-desktop                Ignored argument - left for compatibility only.

Some file managers still require to run them with a "--no-desktop"
option, otherwise they will take over the desktop, but they most likely
don't change the theme or fonts. So, to provide help, it could be useful
what exactly is missing or changed.

PS: It doesn't harm to read the smart question html ;), but it's not
necessarily required to read it.