Question regarding toggling between workspaces

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at majess.pl
Fri Jul 12 09:57:03 CEST 2019

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for your reply.

> I would be interested if you can find a native solution for that as
> well. One workaround you can try is creating a shortcut for a shell
> script that saves the current desktop - the output of `xdotool
> get_desktop` to a file, and switches to the desired desktop with
> `xdotool set_desktop`.

I'm wondering if xfce exports in some way the information regarding
previous desktop/workspace?

Please forgive me my ignorance, but how shall I 'bind' the xfce4
pressed CTRL+F3 with having it available in shell script, which use
xdotool ?

I do have the keybinding defined already in xfce4 for "switch to
workspace 3"

In short -> pressing CTRL+F3 shall feed the script and create
some /tmp/file_foo [1] with info about current and desired
display/workspace to switch. How this can be exported/done in xfce?

Then pressing Super+ESC shall run script which reads [1] and then
switch display/workspace to previous workspace. (this I do know how to
do).