Do start up programs run inside or outside the shell?

Sylvain Viart sylvain at opensource-expert.com
Thu Apr 25 08:14:44 CEST 2019

Hi,

On 24/04/2019 21:54, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 4/23/19 3:48 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Do (session and) start up programs run inside or
>> outside the "Shell" (bash)?
>>
>> I other words, if I want something to run inside the shell, do I
>> need `bash -c "xxx"`
>
> Figured it out.  It is outside the shell, so I
> needed to add
>
>    bash -d "xxx"
>
>    bash -c "if [ ! $(pgrep osmo) ]; then /usr/bin/osmo; fi"

My advise is:

put all your commands into a shell script and call it. You will have
many benefits:

  * git control source available
  * editor and clear syntax reading
  * you know the running environment
  * you can document inside your code, for later when you come back
  * many more...

Regards,

Sylvain.

--
Sylvain Viart - GNU/Linux Sysadmin/Developper/DevOps - France