How to scale Xfce 4.13 for 4K HiDPI screen?

Paul Menzel pmenzel+xfce at molgen.mpg.de
Tue May 29 15:21:46 CEST 2018

Dear Olivier,

On 05/25/18 14:34, Paul Menzel wrote:

> On 05/25/18 13:36, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>
>> On 24 May 2018 at 17:43, Paul Menzel <pmenzel+xfce at molgen.mpg.de> wrote:
>
>>> I tested Xfce 4.13 with Xfwm4 4.13.0, Xfce4-panel 4.13.2, GTK+
>>> 3.22.30 and a 4K HiDPI Dell monitor.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, logging in, all items are too small. Is there an easy way
>>> to scale everything like it’s done in GNOME or Unity? I didn’t find
>>> such an option in the display settings. I only found *Window Scaling* under
>>> Settings → Appearance → Settings. I can chose *2x* there, but it
>>> causes a lot of display errors like the window and the panel overlap and so on.
>>
>> For gtk3, try setting GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE, see
>> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-x11.html
>
> That’s what I did already for Xfce 4.12 and it still works in 4.13
>
> ```
> $ more /usr/bin/startxfce4_hidpi
> #!/bin/bash
> export GDK_SCALE=2
> export GDK_DPI_SCALE=1
> export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
> export XCURSOR_SIZE=48
> /usr/bin/startxfce4 ""
> ```
>
> That’s not something for the normal user though, and therefore I thought
> with 4.13 it was supposed to work out of the box or with a setting.

Ok, the workaround above is not needed, and it is indeed the setting
*Window Scaling*. (It’d be nice that the user could set an arbitrary value.)

So, the current state is, that everything kind of works. Three minor
issues remain:

1.  The mouse pointer is not scaled, and therefore too small.
2.  The window borders(?) are not scaled, so the icons/buttons and
window title text is too small.
3.  The panel action button is incorrectly rendered, that means, I see
the background and the name is not centered.

Kind regards

Paul