mousepad vs leafpad

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun May 27 21:51:23 CEST 2018

On 05/27/2018 07:57 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2018 13:13:16 +0200, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
>> El 25/05/18 a las 19:25, Robert Moskowitz escribió:
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> For real editors I use Geany and vi.
>>>
>>> For simple text files, I was happy with leafpad.  I will now use
>>> mousepad instead.
>>>
>> Maybe you can consider PLUMA.
>>
>> Pluma is a mid-term between Geany (full of features) and Leafpad
>> (maybe too simple).
>>
>> And Pluma has not a lot of dependencies and it is very powerful. Also
>> Pluma integrates very good in XFCE.
> Hi,
>
> for different requirements I'm using different editors with and
> without a GUI, two of them are pluma and xed. I've got mousepad
> installed, but do not use it.
>
> As a starting point take a look at the size of the files of at least
> those three editors.
>
> $ ls -hAl /usr/bin/mousepad /usr/bin/pluma /usr/bin/xed
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 238K Nov 11  2017 /usr/bin/mousepad
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 638K Apr 11 02:29 /usr/bin/pluma
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9.9K May 10 22:26 /usr/bin/xed

My heavy duty editing is XML for XML2RFC for IETF drafts.  Geany works
really well for this for me.

I have also written all my html for www.htt-consult.com by hand with Geany.

I have vi for decades for conf files.  Always there, well for the most part.

But I capture a lot of stuff in simple text files for lots of reasons.
Leafpad was all I needed for that.  Now Mousepad.