mousepad vs leafpad

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 27 13:57:37 CEST 2018

On Sun, 27 May 2018 13:13:16 +0200, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
>El 25/05/18 a las 19:25, Robert Moskowitz escribió:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> For real editors I use Geany and vi.
>>
>> For simple text files, I was happy with leafpad.  I will now use
>> mousepad instead.
>>

>Maybe you can consider PLUMA.
>
>Pluma is a mid-term between Geany (full of features) and Leafpad
>(maybe too simple).
>
>And Pluma has not a lot of dependencies and it is very powerful. Also
>Pluma integrates very good in XFCE.

Hi,

for different requirements I'm using different editors with and
without a GUI, two of them are pluma and xed. I've got mousepad
installed, but do not use it.

As a starting point take a look at the size of the files of at least
those three editors.

$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/mousepad /usr/bin/pluma /usr/bin/xed
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 238K Nov 11  2017 /usr/bin/mousepad
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 638K Apr 11 02:29 /usr/bin/pluma
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9.9K May 10 22:26 /usr/bin/xed

The size of those files alone is not necessarily entire meaningful, but
it at least is a pointer.

If you want the features, look and feel of pluma and a more lightweight
editor than mousepad, consider to test xed. It might not fulfil your
needs, but the chances that it does satisfy you are not too bad.

I recommended xed for good reasons.

I wonder on what all the other recommendations are based upon.

The OP mentioned requirements, IMO xed is the best candidate to fulfil
those requirements.

Regards,
Ralf