xfce4-terminal does not start

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:41:47 CEST 2018

Hi

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 at 17:34, Vangelis Katsikaros <vkatsikaros at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does it work if you change the launcher to run "xfce4-terminal
>> --disable-server" instead?
>
>  Thanks for the prompt response! Yes, it does work.

Good!

> I changed the launcher from "exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator" to "xfce4-terminal
> --disable-server" and it launches correctly.
>
> In order to learn something new, may I ask why?

To save memory and be more efficient, xfce4-terminal uses a daemon
launched through dbus. Basically, all your xfce4-terminal uses the
same process.

My guess is it would try to open the new terminal using an already
running daemon and either fail or open it locally instead of your vnc
session. Using "--disable-server" turns that feature off and allows
the client to run within vnc, just like a basic xterm would.

Cheers,
Olivier